In my view, unholy leaders are not Church leaders at all! They should be rejected by Christians.
Unorthodox, unholy, faithless Church leaders should be rejected by Christians at large — it's that simple.
The early church fathers (and apostles) assumed bishops would be qualified when they admonished Christians to follow their bishops. But when bishops were bad, the Church was bad, and the poor hapless Christians under their authority spiritually languished.
Examples of Church leaders who should be rejected...
- Bishops who shuffle-around pervert priests who molest children.
- Aristocratic bishops from the past. These bishops were not the teachers and defenders of the true Christian faith. The institutional Church that considers them in such high regard should be rejected as well.
- Apostolic succession in which the act of ordaining someone is what makes them a Church leader, regardless of their qualifications.
- Those who allow the Christians under their care to languish, who have no regard for whether these are living faith-filled lives.
- Leaders who think Christianity is nothing more than a set of rites and rituals having a liturgical calendar.