Young earth, global flood?
- Young-earth vs old-earth
- The days of creation in Genesis
- Various topics from Genesis
- The overlap between science and religion
- Noah's flood, whether local or global
My conclusions about Creationism...
- The universe and earth are billions of years old
- There has been pain and suffering in the world since creatures first appeared
- Evolution is true, but always supernaturally directed by God
- The first true modern humans appeared 200,000 years ago
- Adam and Eve were created 10,000 B.C. as the first humans of redemption history, the first monotheists who worshipped the one true God
- The fall is a literal true event leading to original sin
- Noah's flood was local
- The Bible is the inspired, inerrant, infallible word of God, to be interpreted strictly literally
Many young-earth creationist Christians claim that, at the fall of Adam, the following occurred...
- There was rapid, instantaneous evolution of all creatures (saber-tooth tigers grew fangs, mosquitoes began sucking blood)
- The natural laws of the physical universe changed significantly (before the fall: no need for animals to eat one another, no procreation, all living creatures lived forever, no pain or suffering, branches never fell on creatures, no tornadoes, no volcanoes, no disease)
I reject these wacky ideas.
Christians hold strong views of Creationism (and Eschatology), ostracizing those with different views. From all this passion you would think these to be the essential core doctrines of the Christian faith.
My various interests...
- Old universe, old earth.
- Lucifer's role in creating the universe.
- Pain and death existed with the appearance of animals capable of experiencing these.
- Noah's flood was local, not global.
- Evolution — directed by God.
- Adam and Eve were the first humans of redemption history but not the first humans.
- Conditions in the garden of Eden.
- The two trees in the garden.
- The serpent — what kind of creature was it?
- The days of Genesis not literally 24 hours long; Genesis doesn't actually say they were. It is wrong to claim that, when interpreted literally, Genesis teaches 24 hour days.
Intelligent Design is simply not scientific; it is pseudo-science. It has no experiments used to prove theories.
Chronology of the Universe According to Science
|13.8 billion years ago
- Big Bang
- Matter is slightly "clumpy". Under the influence of gravity it collects together causing galaxies and stars to form.
|13 billion years ago
- Stars (and galaxies) begin to form.
- Heavy elements (iron, carbon, silicon, oxygen, phosphorus, etc.) are formed within certain stars.
- Supernovae (exploding stars) eject heavy elements into space.
- Matter collects from gravity to form galaxies, then stars within galaxies.
|13 billion years ago
- Milky Way galaxy originated.
- After several revolutions around the Milky Way the sun collects enough heavy elements in orbit around it to form the planets.
|4.54 billion years ago
- Earth forms.
- Heavy elements (iron, carbon, silicon, oxygen, phosphorus, etc.) condense under the force of gravity to form a solid planet.
- The heavier elements sink to the center of the earth.
- Once the continents solidify, plate tectonics begins and the mountains are formed. Sedimentary rock is created where conditions are favorable.
- Later, fossils get trapped in the sedimentary rock.
|3.5–3.9 billion years ago
- First life on earth
- New species appear at regular intervals until modern man appears.
- Many species could only exist during the conditions on earth at the time they existed. In other words, many of the now extinct species could not exist on earth today.
- Many species go extinct during this time period.
|1.5 million years ago
- Hominids appear. They are man-like but not yet true humans. The only species of true-humans is homo-sapiens.
- They make tools, paint caves, and bury their dead.
|200,000 years ago
- The first humans. Homo-sapiens-sapiens, which is modern man.
- There are no new species formed after this.
- Neanderthal man existed between perhaps 300,000 and 30,000 B.C. They went extinct perhaps because of modern man.
- Agriculture begins. Adam and Eve.